- Always stay well hydrated. Drink plenty of water prior to and during outdoor activities. Frequently offer your child water. If outdoors for more than 1 hour, add an electrolyte solution (ie Gatorade, Powerade, Propel)
- Take adequate breaks for rest. Stay in the shade if possible.
- Always have a cool air conditioned environment following outdoor activities.
- Never leave your child in a car or other closed motor vehicle.
- Follow sun safety guidelines and always wear sunscreen while outdoors.
- When to seek medical attention: mental status changes, headache, nausea, vomiting, fever, fainting, dizziness, intense thirst, numbness/tingling, muscle aches/spasms
Source: HealthyChildren.org sponsored by The American Academy of Pediatrics
MacKoul Pediatrics is an amazing local pediatrics office in Cape Coral, FL where caring, compassionate doctors and nurses work with you to keep your children as healthy as possible. MacKoul cares for children from birth to college age, from Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Naples, and beyond.
July 19, 2013